Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Ugley Woman and Shellow Bowells


So was checking a map for locations for a Sophie book and found a place called Shellow Bowells. This, of course, immediately had to go into the book. It's just too funny not to. Yep, I'm easily amused.

I actually live about two miles from the village of Ugley (which is honestly very pretty), five from Maggots End, and probably about twenty from Shellow Bowells. I'm not making this up. A friend of mine used to live in Steeple Bumpstead, near Helions Bumpstead. On the way into Cambridge I drive through Trumpington.

This isn't even counting all the places that sound like characters from a Regency novel. "Why, my dear, you just missed Hatfield Peverell. But don't worry, he will certainly be attending Abbess Roding's party."

"But Mama! You know Margaret Roding and I don't get on at all. Not after all that trouble with Norton Mandeville."

"Nonsense, my dear girl, she's engaged to Theydon Bois now. Now, you must decide what to wear, since her brother Beauchamp Roding will be there. You simply must look better than Magdalen Laver; after all, even Saffron Walden turned her down."

"But you must know, Mama, I only have eyes for Wicken Bonhunt..."

And so on. You know, I should write a book where all the characters are named after places. Brooklyn and Paris nothing! Get ready for the great romance of Blo Norton and Cockayne Hatley!

1 comment: