Thursday, January 24, 2008

Karma-type stuff

Soul feeling a little worn-out? In need of some spiritual spring-cleaning? Well, look no further! With just a couple of clicks, you can petition the government (British citizens/residents only) to create a public holiday to commemorate Remembrance Day.

Okay, that's crass. But I think it's a really good idea: Armistice Day is formally celebrated on a Sunay, when it doesn't inconvenience anyone. Well, it damn well should. If it made a difference to people's working weeks, they might remember it more. It's hard enough to remind people to observe a minute's silence at 11 am, on the 11th day of the 11th month (see? Really hard to bring to mind). War is a horrible, shitty thing, and to die for your country, whether in a great, popular Cause-type war, or a stupid, unpopular crusade, is something that shouldn't just be remembered whenever it's convenient.

Okay, rant over. The other karma-type thing is I went for my interview at the animal shelter and it seemed to go quite well. They have so many lovely cats there! There's one enclosure where they have three cats who are FIV--like HIV for felines. Since they can't really be allowed to come into contact with other cats or the outside for fear of catching something, it's really hard to rehome them. It's a shame, because they're really sweet cats.

Oh, and they had three young kitlets--not tiny kittens, maybe six months old. Black and white, fluffy as anything. God, I wanted to bring them home!

Can't imagine Spike being too pleased, though.

1 comment:

  1. Spike is so pretty! I just lost one of my cats, Peach. Her sister misses her. I'm contemplating on getting a kitten, but I'm not sure I want to go thru losing another one. Nice blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete