Saturday, January 30, 2010

Facebook

A warning and an apology. If anyone got a message through Facebook last night or this morning from me that said I'd been mugged while on vacation in Scotland and desperately needed money wired to me, then I apologise, but it wasn't me. (Because if I'd been mugged why would I be messaging people I don't really know on Facebook instead of, you know, phoning the police?).

Apparently this is a scam well-known to Facebook. My account was hacked--thankfully several people who got this message realised and emailed to tell me, so I changed my password and assumed that was the end of it. I tried to report it to FB, but couldn't find any way of doing that.

Unfortunately some time this evening FB decided I'd violated their terms of service and disabled my account. Whether this is related to the hoax or they've just decided they don't like me, I don't know. Either way, I'm offline at least until I can get an answer out of them about what's going on.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't get a FB message - but I'm very glad to know you haven't been mugged. I assume the bit about you needing money is true, though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well yes, donations are always welcome.

    But if I was scamming people for money, I'd come up with something WAY better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:05 am

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This same thing just happened to me only I'm supposedly in London. Changed my password and everything and that was it but now my FB account has been disabled. I sent an email to FB and am waiting to hear back.

    ReplyDelete