Tuesday, July 06, 2010

The Stolen Meme, part 8

13. What’s your favourite culture to write, fictional or not?

Hmm. I don't suppose I've ever really thought about 'culture' that way. I suppose that all depends on how you define it. A shared history, collective art and literature and music references, a vernacular, pride in all these things? I suppose then that you could define Britishness as a culture, and the one I write most about. Partly because I find it fascinating, rich, varied and I'm proud of it, and partly because I'm dead lazy.

14. How do you map out locations, if needed? Do you have any to show us?

I do, as a matter of fact. I've drawn out several maps of the Realms, both the whole universe, each Realm, and one or two cities thereof. I've also drawn diagrams for a few buildings, such as Nuala's house which has lots of rooms and gets a bit confusing.

Now, let me find that map...
This is a map of the Realm of Peneggan, where a lot of the action of Almost Human and Mad, Bad & Dangerous takes place. Click on the map to enlarge it.

This might be the last of the meme for a little while, as on Thursday I'm off to the Romantic Novelists Association national conference, and must therefore spend the next two days choosing shoes. Au revoir!

2 comments:

  1. I love drawing out maps. It's the only way I can keep the realms straight, esp if I'm writing a series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've drawn so many maps, even if some of them are just scribbled sketches. It's impossible otherwise!

    ReplyDelete