Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Winter warmer

Its pretty chilly here in Blighty, so I'm warming myself up with some mulled wine, adapting a recipe for glugwein from a Finnish friend. Here's what you do:

Get a bottle of vodka. Pour out a measure or two. Save it for vodka tonics later on.

Add to the vodka: a crushed nutmeg (not ground as its too gritty); a couple of cinnamon sticks; the grated peel and juice of an orange; a teaspoon or so of cloves. This year I'm experimenting with a vanilla pod as well.

Screw the lid back on the vodka and shake it a couple of times. Leave it for a week or so.

Pour the spiced vodka through a strainer into red wine or cider, and heat it gently. You can microwave it, but I find it gets too hot and the flavour is impaired. I'd recommend a measure of vodka per glass of wine or half pint of cider. You can add some brown sugar to taste...but then if my vanilla adaptation is a success, this may not be necessary.

Kippis!

No comments:

Post a Comment